Dust In My Coffee

Dust In My Coffee

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Soup's On!



I would love to share with you one of my favorite soups!  This soup is perfect because it is flexible.  You can substitute vegetables according to what you have on hand and it can be available to eat whenever the meal is needed.  Since I tend to make it on snow days I call it my Beef Blizzard Soup!
 
Ingredients:
2 pounds lean ground beef
¼ cup chopped onion
4 medium potatoes, peeled
2 cups cut up carrots
2 cups frozen peas
2 cups frozen corn
3 tsp beef base

Start with a pot of water with about 8 cups of water in it.  Put it on the stove on high heat and wait for it to boil.  While the water is heating put the hamburger and chopped onion in a skillet and brown on medium heat. 
The carrots and potatoes are in the boiling water.
While the water is heating put the hamburger and chopped onion in a skillet and brown on medium heat.

This is one of my favorite
kitchen tools from Pampered
Chef.  I used it to brown my
hamburger and mix the soup.


Once the water is boiling put the carrots in.  Wait five minutes and add the potatoes.  Allow to gently boil for about 10 minutes.  You will have to adjust the time according to how big your pieces are.  I like mine to be small so that hot potato bite doesn’t burn the tongue.  

I love to use the frozen sweet corn I have from my 2012 garden.
I didn't have as much luck growing peas so I buy those!

When the hamburger is browned spread the frozen corn over it and turn down to low heat allowing the corn to soften. 
I am only using two pans for this meal!

Add the frozen peas to the boiling water mix for around 5 minutes.  Next add three heaping teaspoons of beef base.  We use “Better than Bullion”.  Stir until dissolved.  I do not add salt to this soup because of the beef base.  You can add salt and pepper according to personal preference.

This does require refrigeration after opening.
Now you are ready to put your ingredients into your soup kettle. 

This mixture nearly fills a large crock pot.

  I use a crock pot so it can stay warm until someone needs to eat.  Add the hamburger mixture first.  Next pour the potato, carrot and pea mixture with the liquid carefully into the pot.  Stir and you are finished!   

A nice hot bowl of soup!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment